Learning is a lifelong pursuit and is one of the most powerful ways of keeping your brain healthy and strong. Being a caregiver for your senior means finding ways to support their well-being from many different angles, and that includes encouraging them to keep their mind sharp, responsive, and healthy throughout their later years. As the holiday season approaches, consider gifts that are enjoyable for your senior, but also encourage them to keep learning and enjoy a healthier, stronger mind for longer.
Let these ideas inspire you to give your parent thoughtful gifts that encourage your senior to keep learning:
- Books about a particular topic you know they are interested in, or something you think they might like to learn more about
- Craft books that introduce your senior to a new way to do a favorite craft, or a new craft altogether. Include the materials to get them started as well
- Puzzle books that encourage your parent to work on their strategy, critical thinking, math, and other skills with fun activities
- Cookbooks that introduce your senior to a new form of cooking or a new cuisine. Include some ingredients or kitchen tools to get them started on their first recipe
- Subscription to a museum magazine that will give them regular access to news, research, and more about their favorite topics. Many science and history museums offer such magazines
- Plans to go on a road trip together to a special location that will allow them to explore and learn new things. Include materials to get them ready, such as planning a road trip to a nearby cavern and including a book about how caves develop, or a battlefield and a book about those battles
Starting elder care is a fantastic way to help your parent stimulate their mind more as they age in place. An elderly home care services provider can offer a variety of personalized services tailored specifically toward helping them live their best life. This can include reliable transportation for your aging parent to get where they need and want to go when they need or want to be there, encouragement to participate in activities such as volunteering and continued education, playing games, helping with crafts, and more. As their family caregiver, this can help you to feel more confident in your parent’s quality of life and ongoing wellbeing as they age in place.
If you are considering elder care in Liverpool, NY, for an aging loved one, please contact the caring staff at Serving Seniors, Inc. We specialize in offering services to the Senior Community in Syracuse and the surrounding area (Clay, Cicero, Liverpool, Baldwinsville, Central Square, and others). Call us today! 315-382-4300
Most seniors can live independent lives for quite some time with just minor assistance. Family and friends cannot always be there to help with daily tasks, but Serving Seniors can help fill the need for transportation, errands, housekeeping, and more. Just a few hours a week can enhance your senior’s independence, happiness and overall quality of life.
Joan assists concerned families seeking a trained caregiver who will treat their loved ones with dignity, respect and compassion. Serving Seniors provides the highest level in-home non-medical care and companionship. Families and seniors can be assured of friendly, personalized service from dedicated, compassionate caregivers.